These patch notes can also be found at Bungie.net
“Let me tell you the story of when the Guardians first encountered the Cabal.
It was the first days back on the frontier, when we’d finally found a way to repower the old jumpships and explore what remained of the colonies.
There were two Guardians. While both served the Light, in all other ways they were rivals. One spent his days searching forgotten places for lost treasures. The other sought ever-greater challenges in a ceaseless quest for glory.
“One day, both Guardians detected a strange signal coming from a buried city on Mars. The Warlock, hoping to find forgotten caches, vowed to keep his secret until he alone had a chance to explore the site. The Hunter, seeing a chance to earn the renown she craved, also told no one.”
Thus both Guardians walked into peril alone and unprepared.
It was not long before their paths crossed. The Warlock mocked his rival’s pride. The Hunter ridiculed her rival as a dirt-grubber. In their anger, they turned on one another …and never saw danger approach.
The Sand Eaters came in force. The Centurions jumped into range before the Guardians could react. The steps of the Colossus shook the ground. The Phalanx’s shields created a wall that no weapon could penetrate, and the Legionaries moved in for the kill.
Faced with certain destruction, the Guardians did the only thing they could. They fought. Back to back, they battled the Cabal for a day and a night. Black oil soaked into the sands until the ground was slick with death. The shields and armor of the dead littered the battlefield, but still the Cabal came.
The Guardians died, revived, and died again. Still they fought, protecting one another. With his last bit of strength, the Warlock used the Void to destroy their enemies. With her last bullet, the Hunter saved her friend from the Colossus.
At last, the battlefield fell silent. Only the Guardians stood. Abandoning their quests, they returned to the City to warn the Vanguard of the threat rising on Mars.
From that day to this, the pair have been the closest of companions. In their journeys together, they have found both riches and renown. But these things mean nothing unless they are shared.”
“Wait, I thought I’d heard this story before, but it was about two Guardians and the Hive?”
“No it wasn’t. It was about the Vault of Glass.”
“Whoever said there was only one story?”
New Event: Crimson Days
Grab a partner to celebrate Crimson Days from February 9th, 10AM PST to February 16th, 1AM PST
- Go talk with Lord Shaxx in the Tower to receive the quest “Crimson Bonds”
- Players must be at least Level 40 to be eligible to obtain this quest
- 2v2 PvP Event Playlist: Crimson Doubles
- Requires Pre-made Fireteam of 2 (destinylfg.net)
- In Crimson Doubles, “Heartbroken” buff is applied to you when your teammate is down that provides maxed stats and faster reload
- Weekly Shaxx bounties have been replaced with special Crimson Doubles bounties for the duration of the event
- Fixed an issue where some emote incidents would appear twice
- Fixed a rare issue where the Refer-a-Friend buff was not being properly applied when joining an in-progress activity
- Fixed an issue where an extra icon on the kiosk was appearing for players who acquired MIDA Multi-Tool exotic weapon for both Year One and Year Two
- Fixed an issue with Hakke pulse rifle damage scaling to bring them back in line with other pulse rifles
- Fixed the icon for Titan class item Mark of a Kellslayer
- Fixed an issue where the icon for the Hunter artifact Unerring Compass was missing on PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
- Fixed an issue where the Vienna Singer ship was not dropping at appropriate rates
- Reduced the chance for ghost shells to be awarded from completing the weekly in favor of other rewards
Raid: King’s Fall
- Fixed an issue that allowed players to become immune to the Totem room damage by using a sword’s block ability
- Totems will now kill players under the totem after an extended period of time
- Fixed an issue on the aura holder when exiting 3rd person, the camera forward would get reset back facing the direction of the players feet
- Fixed an issue where the Ogres would teleport when it had issues path finding around previous dropped bombs
- Bounties have been moved to the top of Shaxx’s vendor screen
- Players now start without special ammo in all 3v3 modes
- See developer comments from Derek Carroll
- Fixed an issue where the quest step to “Complete a match with 6+ Auto Rifle kills” was not properly registering
- The temporary fix applied previously has been removed once again to allow this quest to be turned in properly
- Fixed an issue where the text display for Nova Bomb score bonuses was incorrect
- Damage Referee has been enabled in the Control playlist for the Crucible
- See developer comments from Paul Lewellen
New Rotating Playlists
- See developer comments from Jeremiah Pieschl
- Freelance 3v3 featuring Skirmish, Salvage and Elimination – only accessible by solo players, no fireteams
- Freelance 6v6 featuring Control, Clash and Rift – only accessible by solo players, no fireteams
- Inferno 3v3 featuring Inferno Skirmish, Inferno Salvage and introducing Inferno Elimination!
- Inferno 6v6 featuring Inferno Control and Inferno Clash
- Iron Banner returns on February 23rd, 10AM to February 29th, 1AM PST
- Iron Banner armor pieces from Rank 5 packages will now be granted immediately, instead of appearing once you return to Orbit
- Increased the base win rep amount by +20% (50 to 60)
- Waypoints have been added to Lord Saladin when the Rank 3 and Rank 5 packages are available
- Players can no longer recycle into Iron Banner matches after the event has ended
Trials of Osiris
- Reduced the postgame wait time by 15 seconds
- Adjusted loot tables to make rewards more consistent and less likely to have a non-payout match
- Fixed an issue where some players are able to perch in an advantageous position on a giant tree root
- Removed dynamic objects and moved overtime objective to help it play better in Elimination
- Fixed an issue where Reputation was being awarded when dismantling the Future War cult ship “The Climb”
- Access to the ship via the kiosk has been re-enabled
- Fixed an issue where the icon on Gunsmith vendor screen to display the correct reputation